The world of strategy is shifting. Leaders companies & governments are looking for new ways to build
strategies for the future.
Last Updated 16 May 2018
This website (StrategyTools.io) is operated by Strategy Tools AS, a private management consulting company in Stavanger, Norway.
1. Who are we?
2. Who can you contact for privacy questions or concerns?
3. How do we collect personal data?
- Directly. We obtain personal data directly from individuals in a variety of ways, including obtaining personal data from individuals who provide us their business card, complete our online forms, subscribe to our newsletters, register for webinars, attend meetings or events we host, visit our offices or apply for open roles. We may also obtain personal data directly when, for example, we are establishing a business relationship, performing professional services through a contract, or through our hosted software applications.
- Indirectly. We obtain personal data indirectly about individuals from a variety of sources, including our clients. We may attach personal data to our customer relationship management records to better understand and serve our business clients, subscribers and individuals, satisfy a legal obligation, or pursue our legitimate interests.
- Public sources — Personal data may be obtained from public registers, news articles, sanctions lists, and Internet searches.
- Business clients — Our business clients may engage us to perform professional services which involves sharing personal data they control as part of that engagement. Our services may also include processing personal data under our clients’ control on our hosted software applications, which may be governed by different privacy terms and policies.
4. What categories of personal data do we collect?
- Personal data. Here is a list of personal data we commonly collect to conduct our business activities.
- Contact details (e.g., name, company name, job title, work and mobile telephone numbers, work and personal email and postal address).
- Sensitive personal data. We typically do not collect sensitive or special categories of personal data about individuals. When we do need to process sensitive personal data, it is with the consent of the individual unless it is obtained indirectly for legitimate purposes. Examples of sensitive personal data we may obtain include:
- Dietary restrictions or access requirements when registering for in-person events that reveal religious beliefs or physical health.
- Information provided to us by our clients in the course of a professional engagement.
- Location-based data. We may process geographical locations you enter when seeking an event or a consultation near you.
5. What lawful reasons do we have for processing personal data?
We may rely on the following lawful reasons when we collect and use personal data to operate our business and provide our products and services:
- Contract – We may process personal data in order to perform our contractual obligations.
- Consent – We may rely on your freely given consent at the time you provided your personal data to us.
- Legitimate interests – We may rely on legitimate interests based on our evaluation that the processing is fair, reasonable and balanced. These include:
- Delivering services to our clients – To deliver the professional services our clients have engaged us to provide.
- Direct marketing – To deliver timely market insights and speciality knowledge we believe is welcomed by our business clients, subscribers and individuals who have interacted with us.
6. Why do we need personal data?
We aspire to be transparent when we collect and use personal data and tell you why we need it, which typically includes:
- Providing professional advice and delivering reports related to our professional services.
- Promoting our professional services, products and capabilities to existing and prospective business clients.
- Sending invitations and providing access to guests attending our events and webinars or our sponsored events.
- Personalising online landing pages and communications we think would be of interest based on interactions with us.
- Administering, maintaining and ensuring the security of our information systems, applications and websites.
- Authenticating registered users to certain areas of our sites.
- Processing online requests, including responding to communications from individuals or requests for proposals and quotations.
- Contacting journalists regarding company press releases, invitations to events, highlighting messages that may be of interest on specific industry topics.
- Travel arrangement assistance.
7. Do we share personal data with third parties?
We may occasionally share personal data with trusted third parties to help us deliver efficient and quality services. These recipients are contractually bound to safeguard the data we entrust to them. We may engage with several or all of the following categories of recipients:
- Parties that support us as we provide our services (e.g., providers of telecommunication systems, mailroom support, IT system support, archiving services, document production services and cloud-based software services).
- Our professional advisers, including lawyers, auditors and insurers.
- A potential buyer, transferee, merger partner or seller and their advisers in connection with an actual or potential transfer or merger/acquisition of part or all of our business or assets, or any associated rights or interests.
- Payment services providers.
- Marketing services providers.
- Law enforcement or other government and regulatory agencies or to other third parties as required by, and in accordance with, applicable law or regulation.
8. Do we transfer your personal data outside the European Economic Area?
We store personal data on servers located in the European Economic Area (EEA).
10. What are your data protection rights?
Your data protection rights are highlighted here. To submit a data request please follow this link.
- Access – You can ask us to verify whether we are processing personal data about you, and if so, to provide more specific information.
- Correction – You can ask us to correct our records if you believe they contain incorrect or incomplete information about you.
- Erasure – You can ask us to erase (delete) your personal data after you withdraw your consent to processing or when we no longer need it for the purpose it was originally collected.
- Processing restrictions – You can ask us to temporarily restrict our processing of your personal data if you contest the accuracy of your personal data, prefer to restrict its use rather than having us erase it, or need us to preserve it for you to establish, exercise, or defend a legal claim. A temporary restriction may apply while verifying whether we have overriding legitimate grounds to process it. You can ask us to inform you before we lift that temporary processing restriction.
- Data portability – In some circumstances, where you have provided personal data to us, you can ask us to transmit that personal data (in a structured, commonly used, and machine-readable format) directly to another company if is technically feasible.
- Automated Individual Decision-making – You can ask us to review any decisions made about you which we made solely based on automated processing, including profiling, that produced legal effects concerning you or similarly significantly affected you.
- Right to Object to Direct Marketing including Profiling – You can object to our use of your personal data for direct marketing purposes, including profiling. We may need to keep some minimal information to comply with your request to cease marketing to you.
- Right to Withdraw Consent – You can withdraw your consent that you have previously given to one or more specified purposes to process your personal data. This will not affect the lawfulness of any processing carried out before you withdraw your consent. It may mean we are not able to provide certain products or services to you and we will advise you if this is the case.
We may need to request specific information from you to help us confirm your identity and ensure your right to access the information or to exercise any of your other rights. This helps us to ensure that personal data is not disclosed to any person who has no right to receive it. No fee is required to make a request unless your request is clearly unfounded or excessive. Depending on the circumstances, we may be unable to comply with your request based on other lawful grounds.
11. What about personal data security?
We have put appropriate technical and organisational security policies and procedures in place to protect personal data (including sensitive personal data) from loss, misuse, alteration or destruction. We aim to ensure that access to your personal data is limited only to those who need to access it. Those individuals who have access to the data are required to maintain the confidentiality of such information. We may apply pseudonymisation, de-identification and anonymisation techniques in efforts to further protect personal data.
If you have access to parts of our websites or use our services, you remain responsible for keeping your user ID and password confidential. Please be aware that the transmission of data via the Internet is not completely secure. Whilst we do our best to try to protect the security of your personal data, we cannot ensure or guarantee the security of your data transmitted to our site; any transmission is at your own risk.
12. How long do we retain personal data?
We retain personal data to provide our services, stay in contact with you and to comply with applicable laws, regulations and professional obligations that we are subject to. Unless a different time frame applies as a result of business need or specific legal, regulatory or contractual requirements, where we retain personal data in accordance with these uses, we retain personal data for seven years. We will dispose of personal data in a secure manner when we no longer need it.
13. Do we link to other websites?
Our websites may contain links to other sites. Please review the destination websites’ privacy policies before submitting personal data on those sites. Whilst we try to link only to sites that share our high standards and respect for privacy, we are not responsible for the content, security, or privacy practices employed by other sites.